Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tail Post Turret

On 2017-01-06, Bob La Londe wrote:

From: "Jim Wilkins"

[ ... ]

I think automating them every time I make multiple parts. I rarely make
over a dozen of each and for that a 5C collet with a work stop is good
enough. I run all the parts through each setup.

Do you have a tool or surface grinder to make custom form tools to combine
operations?

CNC and tail post turret are two different things.

I seem to see this two ways here. "*Tail* post turret" fits
into the tailstock Morse taper) and "*Tool* post turret" (e.g. a
rotating tool holder with four sides).

If it is truly the tailstock turret, one thing which can speed
up operations is to replace the crank and leadscrew with a lever to
advance the ram/turret. It takes more force for larger drills, but
otherwise is an improvement. And it is possible to modify the tailstock
to accept lever feed there.

But the one thing which a tailstock turret lacks which is nice
for a lot of repeat operations is individual feed stops for each tool
position.

I have a bed turret (it replaces the tailstock and feed is with
a set of levers and a rack and pinion gear similar to the quill feed for
a drill press quill. It also automatically advances to the next station
when you fully retract the slide. Not sue whether one has ever been
made for the small HF lathes, however.

Sorry if I failed to
delineate that better.

I read it that way, at least. Two separate things.

Sure as I indicated (no pun intended) automating in
the future would be better, but when I am in the shop I am busy. If I can
improve speed now it might be an immediate benefit.

Tool post turret on a manual lathe would mostly be used like this. Center

^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^

And *here* is where I saw "tool post turret", thus my confusion.

drill, drill, tap. For one part its no big deal. For a half dozen parts
that gets a little tedious with a Jacobs chuck.

I do have a 3C (not 5C) collet closer on that little lathe. In fact I
installed the 3C closer so I could support soft stock like teflon rod, but
it has also turned out to be faster for my regular operation of radiusing
pins as well. I was really surprised how much faster it was to open, pull,
insert, close, cut, open, pull... than the 3 jaw chuck was. For one thing I
am releasing the collet before the lathe finishes spinning down.

O.K. I have not gone to the video which you mentioned later, so
I don't know whether you have a handwheel closing collet setup, or a
lever closing one. Lever is a lot faster, though you could likely grip
the knob as the spindle is spinning down to have it loosen for you. But
lever closing, and a station on the turret dedicated to a stock stop
means that you can feed the stock while the spindle is still spinning,
thus eliminationg one stop/start cycle for the spindle motor. Long
stock through the spindle needs a support tube outboard of it to avoid
it bending and whipping, and it is possible to set up a compressed air
powered piston in the support tube to feed the stock to the stop in the
turret. A foot switch to a solenoid valve to turn the air on would help
there.

I was lucky enough to get a 12x24" Clausing with a bed turret
(matching serial numbers, and I had to chase down a normal tailstock for
it for some uses, so I've had a while to determine what works for me
with the turret.

I am also
never searching for the chuck key or a hole to put it in. If I put a little
3phase motor and control with a braking resister on it to improve stopping
speed it would be even faster.

Stock through the spindle, with advance while the spindle is
still spinning would be even faster. :-) Just part the workpiece off
as the last operation before the stock feed.

Not sure a 30+ year old HF small lathe is
worth that, but then I never thought I'd keep it when I bought. I just
planned to flip it.

:-)

Here's a (way too long) video of installing the collet closer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPbnLAngZV8 I was after support of soft

Videos are a pain for me on this system -- I have to move to a
laptop to see them with sound., as the needed flash player is not being
updated for the system which I normally use.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail