Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 19:11:06 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

I disagree. Sears had a big hand in it. And yes the public did too.
But they did it because Sears was not servicing their needs. I grew up
on Long Island they had a store in Hicksville. Their largest from what I
understand. My dad and I were there 2 - 3 times a week. They had
hardware and tools. Then the hardware disappeared. Then the tool area
got really small. They were more interested in soft goods. Well
without the hardware we were now going every couple of weeks. You see
to us, that was their loss leader to get us in the store. My dad often
bought tools he didn't need because they were caught his interest while
he was there for hardware.

When I was in my 20's and now in NJ I needed to replace a broken breaker
bar, and some ratchets that didn't work. The salesman gave me a hard
time and told me that I should buy a 1/2 breaker bar since the 3/8
failed. I had to argue to get my just deserved warranty.. He said if it
broke I was miss using it, and it was too undersized. I had decided
that was too much work to get what was promised.

I also fell prey to the Die Hard battery scam. My short lived very
expensive car battery, that died hard and the pro rating wound up
costing me heavily for another battery that lasted a short time. I
replaced that with an Exide and was happy (1980s). I remember reading a
few years later that there was a scam of used or dead batteries being
given as new.. it's so long ago, I am sketchy on the details. But they
were charged and did face the charges. They admitted nothing, but would
offer something to people who were affected... Guilty as far as I am
concerned.

My remembrance of Sears from childhood was walk into the Golf Mill
anchor and getting warm roasted cashews.