Posted to alt.home.repair
Neill Massello Neill Massello is offline

Default OT? PCI TV tuner cards

Terry Coombs wrote:

OK , I'm cheap and don't want to pay Directv an additional monthly fee for
them to supply a DVR so my wife can see the shows she misses the nights she
has to work . I already have a PC hooked up to the TV and use it to play
stored content , so that part is covered . What I want is a PCI card that I
can use to record a couple of the series she likes for later playback .
There's a whole bunch of stuff out there , from just a few bucks to hundreds
... I'm not looking for the absolute lowest price , just a functional device
to capture some video . It needs to run under WinXP Pro , though if I have
to I can install Vista (but I'd rather not) on that comp for the Media
Center program .
Any suggestions for a brand or a particular model ? I'd prefer to stay
below 50 bucks ...

Do you want to record from the satellite feed or OTA? What does your
DirecTV satellite box output through the RF port? If it's the same as
the video (HDMI, etc) output, there's no point in getting a tuner card.
What you'd want is a video digitizing card or box, such as the Hauppauge
HD PVR.