Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 00:16:21 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/5/2017 11:37 PM, wrote:

Sears struck me as a company that didn't realize who their competition
was. Prices/quality just aren't competitive with other stores,
especially on common hand tools like levels.

Puckdropper

You mean they didn't play the "compete on price only" game???
Sears didn't kill sears. Nor did Walmart. Nor did the Internet. The
North American Public killed Sears. And are the poorer for it, when
you get right down to brass tacks.

How are we poorer for it? I never thought Sears had anything better
than other stores in terms of price, value, service. Never bough
Kenmore appliances but I do like my 50 year old Craftsman hand tools.

It's not just sears that is failing because of it. It is almost
impossible to buy decent quality merchandise any more because every
reseller is fighting for the bottom price - which also usually
translates to the bottomof the barrel.

And those places thar DO have better quality stuff available don't
have it "on the shelf" which means if you needed it yesterday or today
you are TOTALLY screwed - and if you need it tomorrow? - Lots a
luck!!.
In many cases even the cheap crap is "special order only" or only
available on-line.

On that basis, I maintain we are all "the poorer for it".

You don't have to agree - but that's MY view, from where I sit.

Today I just spent almost 3 hours locating a supplier for a
particular compact flourescent replacement bulb - none available
locally or within 5 days.

A few weeks ago I needed a 100 watt "compact flourescent" replacement
bulb - (mogul base, integrated ballast) and by calling the
manufacturer's agent, was able to get it tacked onto an open order
from a wholesaler in the next city down the highway and got it in 10
days without paying double the price to have it shipped special (and
we are not talking peanuts here - thebulb was $82 US wholesale, the
shipping another $78 plus brokerage!!!!!!) Needless to say, I ordered
2 so I don't have to go through that again when the next one blows
(there are 8? in the building.and they are all the same age - all on
the same switch)