Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How dangerous is a compressor air receiver failure?

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 10:47:50 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 1/6/2017 1:20 AM, Steve W. wrote:
If you look close at the still images at 2:45-2:47 it sure looks like a
new weld with the paint blackened and very clean edge. Straight in line
with the air fitting at the edge of the tear.

The outside of the seam is painted, and it's old paint.

I'm wondering if it pin
holed, they cleaned and welded it but didn't get proper penetration, and
the tank tore apart in the HAZ. ...

I think that may have been done later, removing the domes during
cleanup.

It is fishy. I'd like to have my hands on the remains and find the bad
spot. As one of the YouTube commenters said, it was likely an
over-pressure situation with the pressure switch and pop-off both
failing (or over ridden). I would expect rusty tanks to leak
progressively until they're useless. It doesn't take much of a leak
before the compressor is cycling too often and a hiss is noticeable.

Because the tank split straight at the seam, it does look more like an
overpressure failure than anything else. Tears are usually more
jagged and curved, not perfectly straight. Note the way it jumped
straight up into the air, too. It appeared that the father was looking
at it when it went, too. Perhaps he heard something and...

--
I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you
have earned, but it is not greed to want take someone else's money.