Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tail Post Turret

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
So, for a manual lathe who has found a tailpost turret to be really
useful?

I know for some folks it would be useless. On the lathe I am
thinking baout getting one for I mostly use one single tool 90% of
the time to radius pins. I still have a QCTP on it, because its
easier to set tools at the right height, and when I do change tools
it seconds. Not even tens of seconds.

I recently setup a job where I had to make several parts where I had
to use 4 tools in the tail post. It was no big deal for one part,
but for several I started to begrudge the time spent changing tools.
I think with as few as half dozen parts the time setting up a turret
for the job would have been less than the time spent changing tools.

I think automating them every time I make multiple parts. I rarely
make over a dozen of each and for that a 5C collet with a work stop is
good enough. I run all the parts through each setup.

Do you have a tool or surface grinder to make custom form tools to
combine operations?