Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How dangerous is a compressor air receiver failure?

On 1/6/2017 1:20 AM, Steve W. wrote:
If you look close at the still images at 2:45-2:47 it sure looks like a
new weld with the paint blackened and very clean edge. Straight in line
with the air fitting at the edge of the tear. I'm wondering if it pin
holed, they cleaned and welded it but didn't get proper penetration, and
the tank tore apart in the HAZ. ...

It is fishy. I'd like to have my hands on the remains and find the bad
spot. As one of the YouTube commenters said, it was likely an
over-pressure situation with the pressure switch and pop-off both
failing (or over ridden). I would expect rusty tanks to leak
progressively until they're useless. It doesn't take much of a leak
before the compressor is cycling too often and a hiss is noticeable.