Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT? PCI TV tuner cards

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 22:03:39 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

The problem comes up with the Sat box. It will not export an HD show
to anything that is not DRM compliant. This is normally done using the
hardware built into the HDMI driver but my Dish box will not even send
a show out on HDMI or the 3 cable component output to a recorder,
whether it is HD or not. I assume they are forcing their DVR on you.

Are all the satellite receivers now hi-def ? Ours dates from 2012 , and I
don't think it's a hi-def unit . There is no HDMI output , it has RF ,
s-video , and 2 component (r/w/y) outputs . I assume that makes a difference
with DRM protection ...

Nope that will not have any DRM. If you can see it, you can record it.
I would seriously consider buying a Replay 4000 or 5000 series
machine. They are dirt cheap now that the guide is not supported but
they work fine as a manual recorder (VCR type of timer)
With a 320g drive in them, it is hard to fill one up and Sound Forge
has the tool (free) to send those shows to a PC. There are also files
on SF to reload the firmware if you replace/upgrade the drive.