Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Clock Radios

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 08:42:27 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 04/01/2017 20:33, Scott wrote:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 20:28:19 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"pamela" wrote in message
On 18:03 4 Jan 2017, Scott wrote:

I guess for future-proofing DAB should be included.

DAB and DAB+.

Looks like a nice product. Pure have chosen an up-market niche
and although there are diminishing returns as quality increases,
Pure's pricing always seems on the high side.

I would still comment as I did before that IME Pure radios (en bloc)
have a very limited high frequency response and seem to have low
frequencies boosted that makes them boomy.

It is a "feature" rather than a benefit of almost all of the modern
smallish domestic kit. Done I presume for the aging disco ghetto blaster
generation. They probably can't hear the high frequencies anyway.

Japanese makers seem a lot less inclined to shake their box to bits.

I would suggest to the OP that he buys from such as John Lewis so that
he can take it back if it is unsuitable.

Is this definitely a feature of Pure rather than a problem with DAB in
general - compression, low bitrates and an outdated codec?

Pure, Roberts and quite likely most of the others too. DAB basic rate
isn't all that bad unless you put it up against a good FM receiver or
original source material and then the losses are very obvious.

You refer I assume to 80 kbps mono?