Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More green lies.

On 05/01/17 19:23, dennis@home wrote:
On 05/01/2017 09:35, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 17:36:45 UTC, wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 16:11:09 UTC, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 13:33:31 UTC, tabby wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 11:55:06 UTC, TimW wrote:
On 04/01/17 02:56, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 00:12:19 UTC, TimW wrote:
On 03/01/17 23:03, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Carbon capture has never made any sense even at the most basic
level. But if it can rake in subsidies...

How could it not make sense?
I understand a method and technology has been elusive, but
itmakes sense
at a basic level to take CO2 out of the atmosphere, no?
TW

Energy generation requires turning C into CO2 to generate heat.
Going from CO2 back to any less oxidised form is merely reversing
the process. It's like taking 2 steps forward then one back, you
make less progress. And since the step back costs money and is
not entirely efficient, the whole process ends up using more
energy per kWh out, producing more CO2 per kWh out, and costing
more. It just fails to make any sense.

This is the first time I have heard anyone suggest that 'Carbon
Capture'
should involve converting CO2 to pure Carbon.

I didn't say back to C, I said back to any less oxidised form.

It would be an idiocy, but
I don't think it is any more than a straw man. I thought it was about
pumping CO2 underground into old mines or natural rock formations in
which you hoped it would stay put.

That's a hopeless approach, quite unrealistic. And achieves worse
than nothing. The percentage of CO2 output one can bury is tiny,
and guess what's required to do it... producing more CO2 to drive
pumps etc. And of course putting it there temporarily does't
achieve anything.

NT

I have heard warnings against deforestation on the grounds that
tropical
forests capture large quantities of CO2, but that is a different
matter,
and besides it is good sense for many reasons.

Tim W
Some carbon capture involves dissolving the CO2 in water.
This is done under high pressure.
The water is then pumped underground.
The CO2 then stays dissolved because it is under high pressure (all
the other water on top of it.)
The problem is that it's hot down there.

How it works out as regards energy consumed toachieve this, have no
idea.

There has been a few failed projects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon...e_CCS_projects

It takes energy to do it, and eenrgy to produce the equipment used to
do it, transport the people involved etc etc. Energy comes from
producing CO2, thus doing it produces more CO2 - not less. Now, CO2
isn't going to stay underground for ever, so what you've done is to
add more CO2 to the atmosphere. Not just for no gain, but at
significant cost.

It's the sort of thing that appeals to people with no grasp of basic
engineering. It's the fashionable non-sense of the day and curries
votes.

NT

CO2 remains dissolved in water for ever.
The higher the pressure, the more can be disolved.

Natural gas remained underground for millions of years with no leakage.
Why shouldn't CO2?

Why shouldn't radioactive waste?
If you can store CO2 for millions of years by pumping down a well you
can do the same with radioactive waste.

Hmm. Pressure of radioactive waste.....
See you have solved your own problem.