Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default TS keeps popping circuit

writes:
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 19:55:33 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy
wrote:

Keith Nuttle wrote in
news
My table saw requires 20 amps to start the saw with a 1hp motor.
There is a short cord on the motor that plugs into the switch at the
front of the table. Over the period 40 years the cord from the switch
to the wall became damaged, and I had to replace it. I struggled to
find the right cord. I finally use a 14 gauge cord.

Why because every cord I could find was 14 gauge, and when I went to
Menards, Lowes and a couple of other places where there were saws on
display with 1 hp motors, they all had 14 gauge wire into the motor.
usually just a couple of feet long.

We have all been giving advice that focused on the wire gauge and
circuit. I don't believe the question was ever asked as to the size
of the motor, and the start mechanism, ie capacitor start etc.

Both would have bearing in the size of the cord required.

There's a bit of fuzzy understanding in these statements.
The gauge of wire required is a function of both the current
drawn (i.e. horsepower of the motor) and the length of the
wire. 4 feet of 14 gauge to a 1hp motor is fine, 40 feet of
14 gauge is not.

14 gauge on a 20A breaker is not.

AWG 12 to the receptacle then AWG 14 from the receptacle
to the saw _is_.