Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default CNC lathes with a taper attachment, why?

On 2017-01-04, wrote:
On Wed, 04 Jan 2017 10:39:49 -0500, Randy333
wrote:

Guys,
I got a wanted ad from Machinetools.com and someone is looking for
a CNC lathe with a taper attachemnt??? This makes no sense to me at
all. With a CNC control you can progam in any taper you want.

What am I missing? Is there a real use for a taper attachment on a
CNC lathe?

This depends on what kind of motors are on the axes, and what
resolution they are capable of. I've got an Emco-Maier Compact-5/CNC
which has stepper motors capable of either 0.01mm or 0.001" resolution
is pretty coarse when asked to cut a Morse taper. I tried a Morse No. 2
taper with it, and it was visibly stepped -- no need to even measure it.
(Remember, 0.001" cutter steps mean 0.002" diameter steps. And since
the machine's native steps were metric, some conversions are off enough
so a 0.002" step actually works out to be 0.003".

So -- yes, *that* machine could benefit from a taper attachment.

However, ones capable of significantly more resolution can
happily cut tapers with the program. This would likely include
machines doing micro-stepping, or machines with servos instead of
steppers.

So -- it all depends, but a better CNC lathe would be preferred
to one with a taper attachment.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--