Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Clock Radios

On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 20:28:19 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

"pamela" wrote in message
On 18:03 4 Jan 2017, Scott wrote:

I suggest PURE Siesta Rise
http://www.pure.com/digital-radio/products/siesta-rise

Comments as follows:

Amongst the desirable attributes I wish to retain a

Large clear LED digits easily read by the short-sighted,
permanently illuminated (no need to reach out and tap anything),
also displayed when the radio is on, but not so bright that they
light the whole bedroom.

The Rise has very large time display (which I can read without
glasses and while half asleep). Permanent illumination is an
option and brightness can be set on a scale of 1 to 5.

At least two easily selectable alarms.

It has three. You can have one for weekdays and one for
weekends. Unfortunately you cannot differentiate between
Saturdays and Sundays.

Radio when used as alarm to be the same volume as when last
listened, which can be set as low as I want.

You can set the radio volume (for when the alarm activates) on a
scale of 1 to 32. You will know level when last listened to so
you can set it the same.

Control buttons easily located and operated without my head
leaving the pillow, ideally on the front.

They are on top as the display occupies the whole front. It
would be better if they were were tactile for feeling in the
dark but you get used to where they are.

Sleep timer with adjustable duration.

15 minute increments to 60, then 90

Mains operated, with automatic clock synchronisation.

Mains or battery operated. Synchronisation can be digital only,
FM only or digital and FM.

Setting not requiring navigation through lengthy menus.

Depends what you mean by 'lengthy'. You obviously have to go
through the various options if you want a radio that provides
options.

I guess for future-proofing DAB should be included.

DAB and DAB+.

Looks like a nice product. Pure have chosen an up-market niche
and although there are diminishing returns as quality increases,
Pure's pricing always seems on the high side.

I would still comment as I did before that IME Pure radios (en bloc)
have a very limited high frequency response and seem to have low
frequencies boosted that makes them boomy.

I would suggest to the OP that he buys from such as John Lewis so that
he can take it back if it is unsuitable.

Is this definitely a feature of Pure rather than a problem with DAB in
general - compression, low bitrates and an outdated codec?