Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default TS keeps popping circuit

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 10:26:21 AM UTC-5, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 4:41:23 PM UTC-6, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have one 15-amp circuit serving my basement shop. Can I switch the breaker to 20 amps? TS is tripping when ripping 6/4 maple.

The simple truth is, you need to rewire your shop and have, at the minimum, two 20amp breakers and all 12ga wire. If that means putting in a new breaker box, its not all that expensive, especially when compared to either burning out the motor on your saw or burning the house down.

A dedicated 15A lighting circuit is a requirement in my opinion. 20A if you
like, but certainly not necessary. IMO it's the dedicated part that is most
important. Plunging the shop into darkness when a power tool trips the
breaker isn't safe.