Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Amazing Chinese forging video

"Howard Beal" wrote in message
news

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
news
Howard Beal wrote:

"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message
news

Finkl closed up their northside plant and moved to the southside. The
whole site has been bulldozed flat and sold to a developer.

Back in the late 80's, they turned the area into a "Planned
Manufacturing
District" to protect it from residential encroachment, but no sooner
did
they do that, than they started cutting out chunks for retail shopping
centers.

For nearly thirty years they have been chomping at the bit to slap
housing
on that area, looks like they'll finally get their wish.

Paul K. Dickman

WGN news had a report about finkl, seems thier south side neighbors
don't like them. The people near the plant are bitching about noise,
smells, vibration and broken promises.

It's a ****ing steel mill that makes huge forgings. Not sure what they
were expecting.

I'm glad they're still around though.

The impression i got was that the complaintents were looking to get some
$$$$$
from finkl. I am shure the chicago city planners had good reasons to allow
the plant to be built at it's current location.

Best Regards
Tom.

Planners? Jeez Tom, you used to live here, when was the last time you saw
the city do any planning?
Finkl got bought out by a German firm and they threatened to leave, the city
let 'em do what ever they wanted and sweetened the deal with money and land.

I am glad we kept the jobs, but at the new site, Finkl's buildings are about
150-200 feet from the houses, that's a pretty small buffer zone for drop
forging. It's sparsely populated though and, if they have any sense, they
are buying people out as we speak.

From the city's stand point 200 feet from houses in Burnside was preferable
to 750 feet from yuppies in Lincoln Park.

Paul K. Dickman