Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.tech.broadcast
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Clock Radios

On 04/01/17 09:03, Chris J Dixon wrote:
My present device is now approaching 20 years old, and I am
wondering about getting one which does its tuning using something
more sophisticated than the traditional knob and length of
string.

As ever, my life on the edge of the bell curve seems to mean that
designers have priorities different from mine.

Amongst the desirable attributes I wish to retain a

Large clear LED digits easily read by the short-sighted,
permanently illuminated (no need to reach out and tap anything),
also displayed when the radio is on, but not so bright that they
light the whole bedroom.

At least two easily selectable alarms.

Radio when used as alarm to be the same volume as when last
listened, which can be set as low as I want.

Control buttons easily located and operated without my head
leaving the pillow, ideally on the front.

Sleep timer with adjustable duration.

Mains operated, with automatic clock synchronisation.

Setting not requiring navigation through lengthy menus.

I guess for future-proofing DAB should be included.

Reading reviews, many seem to fail on several of my requirements.

Any suggestions?

Gut an old clock radio and build in all your required functionality with
a Raspberry Pi.

Been one of my 'tuit projects for years ...
--
Adrian C