Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default More green lies.

"RJH" wrote in message
news
On 04/01/2017 02:56, wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 January 2017 00:12:19 UTC, TimW wrote:
On 03/01/17 23:03, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 3 January 2017 22:23:19 UTC, dennis@home wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38391034

A carbon capture plant that takes CO2 from the coal fired plant and
makes baking powder.

So what do they do with the baking powder..

they bake with it releasing the CO2.

Yet this is green and reduces CO2 emissions!

Carbon capture has never made any sense even at the most basic level.
But if it can rake in subsidies...

How could it not make sense?
I understand a method and technology has been elusive, but itmakes sense
at a basic level to take CO2 out of the atmosphere, no?
TW

Energy generation requires turning C into CO2 to generate heat. Going
from CO2 back to any less oxidised form is merely reversing the process.
It's like taking 2 steps forward then one back, you make less progress.
And since the step back costs money and is not entirely efficient, the
whole process ends up using more energy per kWh out, producing more CO2
per kWh out, and costing more. It just fails to make any sense.

I've read a few articles now from the peer reviewed scientific press on
the environmental impact of insulation materials.

While useful and doubtless scholarly (on my lay reading) in the sense of
seeing which materials work, in what quantity and why, reported wider
environmental benefits are misleading.

Nope.

Not a single one even mentions the 'CO2 cost' of production, only effects
post-fit -

That's because the CO2 cost of the production of the
insulation is a trivial part of the dramatic reduction
in the CO2 produced when heating the place.

they seem to throw about notions of CO2 savings with impunity.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Not even in the introduction, where any focus should be made plain.
Therefore, they can significantly overstate the environmental impact.

No they dont.

Not sure about the conclusion (or the data!), but this is a good summary
of the sorts of things that should be considered:

http://www.superhomes.org.uk/resourc...tion-material/

That said, I've only read half a dozen or so articles. And I have no
reason to doubt that even after taking into account pre- and
post-installation costs of properly designed insulation, over time net
benefits by most measures follow.

Corse they do, because the CO2 cost of the production of the
insulation is trivial in the saving of CO2 in the heating of the place.