Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default TS keeps popping circuit

On 1/3/2017 9:14 PM, Markem wrote:
What gauge extension cord used if any?

From experience that is an interesting question.

My table saw requires 20 amps to start the saw with a 1hp motor. There
is a short cord on the motor that plugs into the switch at the front of
the table. Over the period 40 years the cord from the switch to the
wall became damaged, and I had to replace it. I struggled to find the
right cord. I finally use a 14 gauge cord.

Why because every cord I could find was 14 gauge, and when I went to
Menards, Lowes and a couple of other places where there were saws on
display with 1 hp motors, they all had 14 gauge wire into the motor.
usually just a couple of feet long.

We have all been giving advice that focused on the wire gauge and
circuit. I don't believe the question was ever asked as to the size of
the motor, and the start mechanism, ie capacitor start etc.

Both would have bearing in the size of the cord required.

Knowing the motor specs, it is possible that the saw is blowing the
circuit not because the circuit is inadequate because there is some
internal short in the system.

If it were me I would check the short possibility before I purchased a
new cord or installed additional circuits. (Even though my original
post jumped to the circuit solution.)