Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TS keeps popping circuit

On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 17:55:32 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 6:09:36 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/3/17 4:41 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
I have one 15-amp circuit serving my basement shop. Can I switch the breaker to 20 amps? TS is tripping when ripping 6/4 maple.

As others have pointed out, it depends on the gauge of the wire.
#12 wire will handle 20amps, but you need to make sure it's #12 all the
way to the breaker.

With one 15amp breaker for your whole shop, I would be hesitant to put a
20amp breaker in and then run the saw plus a dust collector at the same
time.

Sounds like a good excuse to run another circuit out there. :-)

At least one more. I'd run a separate circuit just for the lights. It sucks having the lights
go out at the same time the table saw stops, leaving you in the dark.

I wired my shop with outlets on alternating circuits, so I can plug
the tool in one outlet and a vac into the adjacent outlet. They're on
opposite sides of the box, too. Lighting is also on separate
circuits.