Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A bubble level makes more sense

On Tue, 03 Jan 2017 14:58:18 -0600, Jon Elson

The rotary encoder will measure tilt as will a level. The levels are
much more accurate and have a much finer resolution than any
comparably priced electronic level. To use a rotary encoder to measure
tilt I envisioned a weighted in one spot aluminum disc between a
couple damping magnets.

Well, yes, the ordinary "electronic levels" at the hardware store are not
terribly precise.

But, Taylor Hobson also makes a high-end electronic level for millwrights
and such technicians that need to align stuff to serious levels of accuracy.
My Talyvel 3 will resolve .1 arc second, and is quite repeatable to 1 arc
second. It easily detects me walking from one end of my 3500 Lb lathe to
the other, shifts the floor about 1 arc second. The best part is it settles
to a fully damped reading in less than 3 seconds after being picked up and
moved to a different spot. WAY faster than a bubble level.

Jon

And way more expensive too. I could build an accurate enough level
with an electrolytic level sensor but that's still way more money than
a good precision level. If I leveled stuff every day I would have a
fast accurate level.
Eric