Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT car paint, clear coat, color coat

On 1/3/2017 3:44 PM, micky wrote:

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/t...milarQuestions

Says to put the clear coat on before the color coat. I thought it was
the other way around. I would have thought the clear coat is shiny and
color coat won't adhere to it well.

See the full answer below. They are using the clear coat as you would a
primer. Yes, it is a gloss paint but the color coat will still adhere
to it if it is solvent based.

I did a touch up on my last car but just put the color and clear, no
base. Blended in and was invisible as it was a fairly dark blue.

Full Answer
Apply a clear coat to the blemishes, particularly those that are large
in size, to act as a base for the paint.