Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Smoke Alarm Li-Ion Battery. Bucket Of Water Approach To Stop Ringing ?

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 02 Jan 2017 00:55:04 -0000, "James Wilkinson
Sword" wrote:

On Sun, 01 Jan 2017 07:41:49 -0000, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 06:25:16 -0500, Bob
wrote:

Hi,
Happy Holidays.

Would like your opinions on this.

Got my son and daughter-in-law a First Alert Smoke/CO alarm for their house.

They are both as non-technical as you can imagine.

Thought a bit about what to tell them to do if the Alarm goes off,
falsely. Apparently, this is a fairly "common" occurrence.

Alarm has a 10 year, non-replaceable, sealed battery.

Did a Google search, and these batteries are apparently Li-Ion.

The alarm also has a small slider switch, with a break-away tab in the
back, to permanently disable the
battery, and any ringing.

My guess is that at 3:00 AM, it's not a very good option for them to
start playing with.

Why do you think it will malfunction. I think that is pretty darn rare.

If the alarm goes off at 3AM, they should assume tthere is a fire or CO.

If fire, can smell smoke.

Not if you're asleep. And not if you're not home, as in the case of
the neighbor whose alarm had been going off occasionally for weeks.

If CO, oh for goodness sake, boilers exhaust the gases into the outside world, not into the house. You don't need a CO alarm.

Really, so no one ever dies of CO? I guess those news stories are
early examples of Fake News. or maybe some people don't use boilers?
or boilers can break.