Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Smoke Alarm Li-Ion Battery. Bucket Of Water Approach To StopRinging ?

On 1/1/2017 7:47 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, January 1, 2017 at 9:43:26 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 12/31/2016 11:41 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 31 Dec 2016 06:25:16 -0500, Bob
wrote:

Hi,
Happy Holidays.

Would like your opinions on this.

Got my son and daughter-in-law a First Alert Smoke/CO alarm for their house.

They are both as non-technical as you can imagine.

Thought a bit about what to tell them to do if the Alarm goes off,
falsely. Apparently, this is a fairly "common" occurrence.

snipped good advice.

If you failed to teach your son basic home safety, you should take a
do-over!
You don't have to be technical to understand that your first priority
when the alarm goes off is to get the $^% out of the house.
Defeating the alarm is the last thing you should do.

Good grief. Give people some benefit of intelligence. From the post,
it's clear he's talking about a malfunctioning alarm.

I see no evidence that it's a malfunctioning alarm.
Statistically, it's more likely to be smoke or CO just below the
threshold that spikes for some reason.

Disabling the alarm without finding the reason is evidence of
lack of good sense.

And IDK about
you, but mine go off occasionally and I don't run out of the house
like a little girl. I find out what triggered it, if it's real, etc.

My CO detector went off once. I know it was the detector because the
reading was off scale and the other detectors read zero. I did not
put it in a bucket of water and go back to sleep without investigating.

I bet that if you asked nicely, the fire department would come over
and do some basic testing with calibrated equipment for free.

Sure, at 3AM when an alarm is malfunctioning and there is no fire,
call the fire dept!3AM.

That's not what I recommended. Should have been done the first time it
went off.
BUT, I expect that they would at least give you advice at 3AM.

Avoiding false alarms is a high priority for detector vendors.
Yes, they can break, but it's very unlikely. If it goes off, get out!

Yes, run like a little girl!

EXACTLY! If you don't know what you're doing, get the hell out.
Run down to the store ASAP and get a new one. Your old one is either
useless or you will have evidence that it was a good idea to get out.

Graveyards are full of people who thought they were really smart.