Steve Newman

Default crimping cat5 cable

"Jeff Cochran" wrote in message
I was trying to crimp some cat5 ethernet cable last night. I stripped
the wires and used a punch down tool to press the wires into the
connectors, but the wires would come loose before I could get all of
them crimped. The cat5 cable uses stranded wire, and I'm wondering if
this is what is causing my problems. I had already crimped a phone
line without problems.

When I make up Cat5 cables (stranded), I carefully cut the outer jacket off,
squarely cut off the ends of the conductors at the right length,
put them in the right order, carefully and forcefully slide them into the
connector making sure each wire slides into the correct
position all the way. You don't individually strip each conductor wire. When
you use the crimping tool, the insulation will be pierced
and contact made automatically.