Vinnie Murdico

Default crimping cat5 cable

Are you connecting the CAT5 to one of the "quickport" type of RJ-45 jacks or
are you "crimping" an RJ45 "plug" to the end of a patch cable? Since you
mentioned a wall-mounted connector faceplate, I'm assuming your connecting
CAT5 inside your wall to a quickport style connector jack that mounts in the
faceplate.

In that case, you usually don't need to strip the wires. You cut back the
outside insulation of the CAT5 to show the individual wires (maybe 1/2" or
so?), then you place each of the eight individual wires into their
respective slots on the jack, usually denoted by a color guide on each side
of the jack. Then use your punchdown tool to push the wire (insulation and
all) in to its slot. The slot has a blade of sorts that slices into the
insulation and makes contact with the actual wire inside.

It may be that because you were stripping the wire to start, it was not
"thick" enough to stay in the slots.

Once the wires are in the slots and punched down, trim the ends back to be
flush with the outside edges of the jack (I think some punchdown tools do
this automatically, but not the little plastic ones that come with many of
these jacks). Then place the little black cap over the connection area on
the jack (covering your intividual wires) and press it down so it stays put.
Then snap the whole enchilada into the faceplate.

Hope this helps...
-- Vinnie

wrote in message
Hey there,

I was trying to crimp some cat5 ethernet cable last night. I stripped
the wires and used a punch down tool to press the wires into the
connectors, but the wires would come loose before I could get all of
them crimped. The cat5 cable uses stranded wire, and I'm wondering if
this is what is causing my problems. I had already crimped a phone
line without problems.

Assuming that the stranded wire is the problem, is there some kind of
marette that can be used for slicing solid wire to the stranded wire?
I could then crimp the solid wire to my connector and tuck everything
into the wall behind the connector faceplate.

thanks