Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Smoke Alarm Li-Ion Battery. Bucket Of Water Approach To StopRinging ?

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 6:25:20 AM UTC-5, Bob wrote:
Hi,
Happy Holidays.

Would like your opinions on this.

Got my son and daughter-in-law a First Alert Smoke/CO alarm for their house.

They are both as non-technical as you can imagine.

Thought a bit about what to tell them to do if the Alarm goes off,
falsely. Apparently, this is a fairly "common" occurrence.

Alarm has a 10 year, non-replaceable, sealed battery.

Did a Google search, and these batteries are apparently Li-Ion.

The alarm also has a small slider switch, with a break-away tab in the
back, to permanently disable the
battery, and any ringing.

My guess is that at 3:00 AM, it's not a very good option for them to
start playing with.

Why isn't anytime a good time to use the switch? I'm assuming
the case you're talking about is where the alarm goes nuts for
no reason and won't stop sounding. In that case, the switch sure
seems like an easier option than looking for a bucket of water.

So, I told them to just dump it in a bucket of water.

But, having found out that it is a Li-Ion battery, this doesn't sound
like a good idea anymore.
Explosion hazard in water, etc. ?

I haven't heard of any Li-ion batteries exploding in water.