Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Christmas lecture

"tim..." wrote in message
news

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
mechanic wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 11:39:32 -0000, tim... wrote:

It depends. If 'they' tax the f**k out of diesels etc or ban them
totally in towns, they might be the only option for commuter
journeys.

Yeah right.

Ban petrol cars whilst the alternatives all cost over 40 grand

He was talking about diesel powered cars. I'm a bit surprised that
the govt hasn't announced an intention to do this some time in the
future. They are a menace.

Then the Government will have to compensate the owners of diesel engined
cars. We bought them because the Government recommeded them as creating
less polution than petrol ones and reduced road tax to prove it.

Most people who are suggesting banning diesels have suggested a date of
2025 for implementation.

ISTM that 9 year's notice is sufficient for people who already own one,
people who buy going forward from today, are already "on notice".

The big problem with banning diesels is in lorry/van usage. This market
uses diesels because of the greater longevity of the engines

Nope, because of the better fuel economy.

and forcing commercial operators to use vehicles that need scrapping
sooner will push up costs

Fuel efficiency will do that much more.

But that is affordable for the better pollution result.