Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 3:00:02 PM UTC-5, Dave C wrote:
On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 21:13:44 -0500, FromTheRafters
wrote:

trader_4 used his keyboard to write :
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 5:47:10 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

And Ohms Law still applies and works. V = IR. I=0, gives V =0,
the voltage drop across the conductors is zero. Nor was there any
division by zero, so don't start in with that again, please.

I wouldn't dream of it, but given I=0 and nothing else, you can't nail
down V nor can you nail down R by using Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law does *not*

There is always some current flowing. It may only be a couple of
electrons and not detectable by any common means. In the simple circuit
where there is a switch and the insulation is several inches between
conductors when the switch is in the off position, there is still a very
, very small current flow across a very large resistance. Therefor as
they say 99 and 44/100 % of the voltage is dropped across the switch
when it is in the open position.

All of this is picking the nits off the nits.

I agree, but it's Rafter's specialty.

So ther is never a 0 in the equation.

Even in the ideal case, where there is zero current flow,
Ohm's Law, Kirchoff's Voltage Law, still work. For some bizarre
reason, Rafters claims that when we have V = IR, if I is zero,
some law of mathematics involving division by zero is violated,
so we can't solve for V. Everyone else here agrees we can and
the answer is zero.

You can't know that *everyone* agrees until *everyone* says so, and I
don't mean someone using "everyone" as a nym either.

What any of this has to do with wiring a switch, IDK, but here we are.

You should be able to stop at any time, but you can't can you? The
reason this switch thread devolved into this is because of your remark
about electrical engineers not being worth their salt if they don't
know about some minutia about cutting a plate on a duplex receptacle.

https://dengarden.com/home-improveme...alf-hot-outlet

Instead of helping the poster, you decided to attempt to make yourself
look better than him (as you almost always do) by denigrating him and
the place he got his degree from. IMO he learned a good deal more about
the subject than you did, and put it to use in a much more complicated
field.

Thank you for that terse rejoinde, oner that I did not feel that I
could personally post.

Let me assure Trader that I know how to design an EW ESM/ ECM Systems
During my job interview, we did not spend any time on Ohm's Law. I
recall I was asked to explain how I might impliment Cross Pole
jamming and other ECM techniques; along with ESM receiver
architectures. I was hired for that Senior position.

If you bother to follow the thread at all, you would see that
I did not make that comment about an EE degree to you. I made it
to another poster who claimed that an EE can't figure out how to
wire a switched outlet because they don't teach that when you
get an EE degree. IDK where you got your degree. But where I got
my degree, we were taught electrical principles and from that
we could then solve all kinds of problems. That is the essence of
electrical engineering, applying electrical science to all kinds
of real world problems. If you can't figure
out how a simple switched AC circuit works and yet you have an
EE degree, then something is very wrong.

My original question here, re a spilt duplex box would
have been a Gotcha! I was unaware of the plug shorting shunt.

There is no plug shorting shunt. It's a shunt across the
two halves of the receptacle.

Thanks
to the many Positive responders - my wiring change was in place Days
ago (w/o any Ohm's Law concerns)!

Take that up with your buddy Rafters. He's the one that started in
with Ohms Law and chastising us for talking about "current flow",
which he says is incorrect, a term we can't use. Go figure.
I suppose you agree with him too, that you can't solve an equation
of the form Y = B*X when X is zero because it involves division.

BTW, DerbyDad correctly answered your question, it was the first
reply. Mine was second, where I agreed with what he had posted
and I told you about marking the white
wire if you re-purpose it as an ungrounded conductor. What did
Rafter contribute to solving your problem? NOTHING.