Default crimping cat5 cable

Hey there,

I was trying to crimp some cat5 ethernet cable last night. I stripped
the wires and used a punch down tool to press the wires into the
connectors, but the wires would come loose before I could get all of
them crimped. The cat5 cable uses stranded wire, and I'm wondering if
this is what is causing my problems. I had already crimped a phone
line without problems.

Assuming that the stranded wire is the problem, is there some kind of
marette that can be used for slicing solid wire to the stranded wire?
I could then crimp the solid wire to my connector and tuck everything
into the wall behind the connector faceplate.

thanks