Posted to alt.home.repair
(PeteCresswell) (PeteCresswell) is offline

Default USPS Junk Mail, Fake Prize Notifications: Business Plan?

Per :
At one time, in the distant past, I would have blamed
Publishers ClearingHouse ...
.. do you subscribe to any magazines ?
I get none of this stuff - not for many years -
since I stopped subscribing to magazines.

My strongest suspicion is a good-hearted family member who persists in
writing checks to "Charities".

Quotes because, after looking some of them up on Charity Navigator, I
come away with the impression that they are just legalized criminals.

I try my best to front-end the mail on the way back to the house from
the mailbox and throw the trash in the back of my truck.... but every so
often I get caught in the act and catch hell.... also I am not always
there to collect the mail and "somebody else" collects it.

A looooong time ago, I subscribed to something like NewsWeek or Time
under the name of "Peter Garbage". Got junk USPS mail addressed to
Peter Garbage for literally *years* afterward.

Waited and waited for the day that some poor telephone solicitor would
ask for "Mr Garbage" so I could go ballistic on them and shout "It's NOT
Garbage, it's Garbaaaaage!!!"..... but, sadly it never happened.

I will take Joan's suggestion to check in with the person's bank.
--
Pete Cresswell