Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony944 Tony944 is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On Thursday, December 22, 2016 at 5:37:53 PM UTC-6, James Wilkinson Sword
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 19:57:23 -0000, Dave C wrote:

I have an AC wall socket, currently controlled by a wall switch. I
would like to change that outlet, so the one of the plugs is always
ON. The other plug would remaqin as is, ergo controlled by the wall
switch. I purchased a prior house with that configuartion for one
socket. Alas I never looked to see how that "split" outlet
configuration was implemented.

Can one inform me, how to make this change? Thanks

What century are you living in? All my sockets have switches on them.

It seems to me that some of you guys trying to sale your knowledge here,
which in my opinion is very poor answer. Person must have common sense in
any line of work and when you are ask question Simplicity is the right
answer not what degree you have or what the Ohms law is, these days you
learn that in third grade of school. Regarding school it is not always how
much of education have but do you know how to use it. There are many people
that have College Degrees but are sweeping floors because are; incapable
putting education in use!
Another subject there is many different Transformers, Most common is iron
core, that could be made of row iron stocked pieces that makes the core and
it is use up to 400 Hrz. Presently we have ferret iron cores transformers
that will work into very high Frequency depend on density of iron/material
that core is made of, it has became very popular. Then we have Air core
which is use in High frequency including Micro wave.
Voltage drop at 50 or 60 Hrz. virtually dont exist, in open circuit unless
you are running mile and miles of line. In normal use on open line if there
or no load/current there is no Voltage drop, you must have current present
to have; Voltage drop.
In radio Frequency there are voltages drops example you radio Antenna can be
an open circuit there are current and voltage drop present when transmitter
is on!
Capacitor on the AC systems at 50 0r 60Hrz and up to micro wave is consider
dead short circuit, if there is voltage drop because it is something wrong
with capacitor, it has develop internal high resistance that makes it no
good, how ever checking capacitor for AC use it most have high resistance
because you are measuring with DC OHM meter.
Capacitor on DC is total difference but also should have high resistance to
€śInfinity€ť,
it should never be voltage drop unless capacitor is leaking which it mean
that cap, is bad
and it should be replace. Note: if is leaking with no resistance in feed
line it will blow up or melt, in some all styles but normally it will blow.
To avoid that some lager capacitors; comes with build in fuse to avoid
blowing up.
My question is why would I go into electrical theory to some one that want
just to know how or can he change duplex receptacle from single source to
double supply???
Unless he is trying too empress us; Stupid. Yes it is needless to say
€śStupid€ť