Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default A bubble level makes more sense

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 10:19:05 -0800, etpm wrote:

So I was looking at some rotary encoders and a thought occurred to me
that maybe I could make a level with a digital display for checking
lathe bed twist. The highest number of pulses per revolution available
was 40,000. That works out to only .009 degrees. Seems pretty small
huh? But .009 degrees is 36 seconds! That works out to .0016" in 10
inches. My fairly inexpensive precision level shows .0005" in ten
inches. That's ten seconds resolution. And I know it's accurate 'cause
I checked it with gauge blocks. I know, overkill, a feeler gauge would
be good enough. I guess I'll stick with the level and just watch the
analog bubble display.
Eric

I did not know you were planning on checking twist with a rotary encoder.

But yes, a level sounds better. If you're going to be looking at the
"analog" display, would a real old-time machinist's level be better, or
are the 'lectronic ones cheaper?

--
Tim Wescott
I'm looking for work! See my website if you're interested