Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Christmas lecture

I did but from what I know about most of tthe children of the age they
usually get, they need to be far more advanced to hold their attention. You
could tell most of the time they were bored and the only bits they were
interested in were the bits where he blew stuff up.

Very little new came to light even in the last one though thankfully
somebody must have told hiim about his use of k instead of g on the end of
words.

I'd have liked to have had more details about the reason why mobile phones
gps used so much power, I mean he explained about transmitting and the
screen needed a light etc, but why would a receiver need tso much power?
OK he did labour power density rather a lot but to me, even the me back in
the 60s this was the bleedin obvious. It was a problem back then and is
still one now. Also obviously the more power dense a substance is the harder
it is to store and control. Yes we did the hydrogen experiments back in the
60s too one day they said this will be the only fuel, well here we are and
just like Nuclear Fusion we still are waiting.

I think though the lectures were no doubt done in good faith, they were a
bit of a disappointment, proobably due to the fact an awful lot of modern
development is now commercially sensitive and hence not public knowledge.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"The Other John" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 13:29:06 +0000, tim... wrote:

Billed as "energy for the future"

I was expecting an exposé of all of the new technology that is coming on
stream in the next 20 years

But with one minor exception, it was nothing more than a 50 year old
physics lecture

Disappointed doesn't cover it.

Did nobody spot these 'lectures' are aimed at children? Just saying.

--
TOJ.