Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default Hot Water Recirculating Pump

Uncle Monster wrote:

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 5:44:49 PM UTC-6, T wrote:

A customer sent me this:

Needed: A unit that would allow remote manual operation of a
standard household Hot Water Recirculating Pump from up to
six locations within the house; i.e., kitchen, bathrooms,
utility room, etc., anywhere hot water is needed, eliminating
the need to run the hot water tap until the hot water arrives.
This is the alternative to a timed or constant running Hot
Water Recirculating Pump.

Said he is going broke having to keep the hot water running all
the time.

Any of you guys have an experience with this kind of thing?

Many thanks,
-T

Convenience always costs more. Like a convenience store, the prices are higher. ?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Costly Monster

I read all the replies to this IMO brain-dead, overly-complex and
highly-costly method to solve a simple problem.

The easy cost-effective solution is not to move heated water but
(presuming you can) move the power source. In my case it's gas. If you
have electric it's already there. Oil? Wake up to the 21st century.

Place the water heater in close proximity to the point of use. For my
main bathroom it's in a closet underneath. For the kitchen there's
another one in the basement right below. For the second bathroom it's
on the same floor in the next room (another closet). I also have them
plumbed so that any one heater can provide hot water for the entire
house in case one or even two break down.

I'm usually the first up in the morning and when I go in for my shower
I turn on the water, take off my gown, and lay out the floor mat. By
this time the water is steaming. 15 seconds maybe.

This setup also allows for two people to have a shower at the same
time and a third can run the dishwasher with no diminution in volume.