Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

In article ,
says...

And Ohms Law still applies and works. V = IR. I=0, gives V =0,
the voltage drop across the conductors is zero. Nor was there any
division by zero, so don't start in with that again, please.

I wouldn't dream of it, but given I=0 and nothing else, you can't nail
down V nor can you nail down R by using Ohm's Law. Ohm's Law does *not*

There is always some current flowing. It may only be a couple of
electrons and not detectable by any common means. In the simple circuit
where there is a switch and the insulation is several inches between
conductors when the switch is in the off position, there is still a very
, very small current flow across a very large resistance. Therefor as
they say 99 and 44/100 % of the voltage is dropped across the switch
when it is in the open position.

All of this is picking the nits off the nits.

So ther is never a 0 in the equation.
You just have to look very hard to find the components.