Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Replacing an immersion heater

On Wednesday, 28 December 2016 18:30:07 UTC, GB wrote:
On 28/12/2016 18:20, harry wrote:

Removing an old immersion heater is easy.
I have removed dozens as an apprentice.
All you need is a hacksaw blade with one end taped up to form a handle.
Use this to saw out the fibre washer between the cylinder and the heater.
You need to go all the way round and all the way through.
You know you're through when you feel the blade skidding on the metal of the immersion heater.

I did that, and it is exactly as you say. Afterwards, I read that fibre
washers of that era contain asbestos. Oh well, fingers crossed. You seem
to have survived ok.

True but it is damp and the dust doesn't waft about.

It will then unscrew quite easily.
You might have to carefully file out any scores/fibre washer remnants on the flange face on the cylinder,
Smear jointing compound on the new fibre washer.