Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Christmas lecture

On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 14:04:09 +0000, tim... wrote:

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Dec 2016 13:29:06 -0000, "tim..."
wrote:

Billed as "energy for the future"

I was expecting an exposé of all of the new technology that is coming
on stream in the next 20 years

But with one minor exception, it was nothing more than a 50 year old
physics lecture

Disappointed doesn't cover it.

Patience. They have to start somewhere. It may develop and improve.

today's is about how animals create/store/use energy so I am not hopeful

Me neither. As scientific lectures go, it falls disgracefully short of
the level I'd have expected of even the more recent dumbed down Horizon
programmes (and, with very few exceptions, they've generally been truly
disgraceful).

The "AA "battery"" analogy is rather puerile imo lacking, as it does,
any reference to a scientific energy equivalent such as the number of
joules (or even watt hours) equivalency of 'the typical (presumably
alkaline) AA cell'. After that, it all went rapidly downhill from then on.

I've never been impressed by any of these Xmas lectures in recent years
due to the remarkable absence of 'scientific rigour' and this year's
lecture series seems destined to set the bar to its lowest level ever. :-(

I'm surprised there aren't any YouTube versions where the missing data
points have been added to rectify the absence of scientific content which
would at least double, if not triple, the running time of each lecture
session.

I guess the BBC just root out out the less reputable "scientists" to
bribe them into trading whatever scientific integrity they may still have
possessed for a big fat bribe in exchange for whoring themselves in this
way.

Scientifically speaking, this Xmas lecture series has been the most
'content free' series I've ever seen to date. The only reason I'm
recording this series at all has now been reduced to that of "evidence
gathering" in the event that a criminal case of "Crimes against
Scientific knowledge and learning" is ever brought against the UK's
Public Service Broadcaster.

--
Johnny B Good