Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Hot Water Recirculating Pump

On 12/27/2016 6:44 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

A customer sent me this:

Needed: A unit that would allow remote manual operation of a
standard household Hot Water Recirculating Pump from up to
six locations within the house; i.e., kitchen, bathrooms,
utility room, etc., anywhere hot water is needed, eliminating
the need to run the hot water tap until the hot water arrives.
This is the alternative to a timed or constant running Hot
Water Recirculating Pump.

Said he is going broke having to keep the hot water running all
the time.

Any of you guys have an experience with this kind of thing?

Many thanks,
-T

I haven't done this yet but I am planning it. I have a community well
for water and individual septic system. Running lots of water down the
drain to get hot water is not especially good for the septic system. My
plan is to use a water solenoid to dump water outside until it measures
a warm temperature. By outside, I was going to dump it into one of the
downspouts so it will follow the underground pipe to where it just
trickles down the hillside. This would be triggered by a motion
detector in the remote bathroom. As soon as the water reaches a warm
temperature, probably 110 or so, it would close the solenoid. I might
put in dual solenoids so if one gets 'stuck' the other will not just let
the water keep running. And, also a 'sanity timer' which would only
allow the solenoid open for a max of a few minutes. It's in my head but
haven't done it yet. In my case, it's not wasting water as the water
goes back to where is came from. Actually, it's the same as dumping it
into the septic tank, except that it will be automated and will not put
a load on the septic leach field.