Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Christmas lecture

news
On 28/12/16 00:30, tim... wrote:

news
On 27/12/16 18:42, tim... wrote:

news On 27/12/16 17:12, tim... wrote:
For example, there are supposed to be some new battery technologies
that
are a couple of orders of magnitude better than currently available.

I can assure you there are not....

I know, you have told me before

but you are just a random person on the internet so why should I
attribute more weight to you than to all the other "random" persons on
the internet who disagree with you.

Because it is one of my specualist subjects?

so you say

but how do I know that

So I'm supposed to believe that you are the world's expert, just because
you say so

well that's a no!

Some of whom are actually academic physicists (even if I have never
heard of them) and some people with a very real interest in it actually
being right.

Oh, and so people with 'a very real interest in it actually being
right' are the ones to give you an unbiased opinion?

ROFLMFAO!.

I have no personal opinion on who is right, but you really do not have
the visibility for me to believe that it is you.
*shrug* invest your pension in dried unicorn dung then.

Especially when, without these two orders of magnitude improvement,
electric cars for the masses, that automotive companies are investing
billion in, are never going to happen.

Precisely.

Actually you are wrong, we have batteries that are just about good
enough for short range cars. a single order of magnitude might be
enough to fly a commercial electric airliner to the USA.

Short range cars are no good as "main" cars

To get 100% acceptance (which TPTB seem to think is necessary) they need
range and cost no more than current cars

Two orders of magnitude ain't gonna happen with batteries. The ONLY
thing with the sort of energy density is atomic fuel.

well that's not going to happen for domestic transport, is it?

Physics tells us that. That's why I can say 'aint gonna happen'

So why aren't these same Physicists explaining all that to the
Automotive industry?

They are

It's awash with money. It's not like the can't afford to ask

Its only you who is taken in.

it most certainly is not (only me)

(you should have heard the two "idiots" on "The Papers" last night!)

tim