Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Sagging Kitchen Wall Cupboards

simon mitchelmore wrote:
I've just installed a new Wickes kitchen and I'm disappointed that both the 800 wide wall unit bottoms sag noticeably in the centre (between the two sides) when loaded with an ordinary loads of tins or plates. The sag is about 10mm in the centre and is noticeable as it sags below the front lower edge of the doors.

I probably will raise it with them but expect to be fobbed off with 'they're not meant for heavy loads' crap so am looking for a fall back diy solution.

My options appear to be;
1/ a long vertical M6 stud and nuts, from above the top to below the bottom, very unsightly, maybe 6mm rod with just ends threaded might look ok.
2/ cut another shelf to lay directly on the bottom and help support it
3/ attach another layer below the bottom. I've noticed they use beefy 15mm trims on showroom units but thought they were cosmetic only and they only go back about 100mm, so the back would still sag.

Weirdly the internal shelves being thicker ~18mm don't sag at all whereas the frame top and bottom being thinner ~14mm do sag.

Two questions; is this normal on mid priced units, and is there a better technical solution?

I'm advised by SWMBO that redistributing stuff is not an option.

I always use B & Q units to avoid this. Homebase expensive units are
the same.