Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Christmas lecture

On 2016-12-27, tim... wrote:
Billed as "energy for the future"

I was expecting an exposé of all of the new technology that is coming on
stream in the next 20 years

What "new technology"?

I dunno, it's not my professional field so I was hoping to learn about new
stuff.

For example, there are supposed to be some new battery technologies that are
a couple of orders of magnitude better than currently available.

And if you can see into the future, how about telling
us next week's lottery numbers?

Where science is concerned the future is all about making commercially
viable what is actually possible today, but only in the lab - not
speculation of things which are completely unobtainable.

Even fusion is possible in laboratory conditions, just not in a way that
generates more energy that you need to put in to start it. It's the
engineering that we need to improve here, not the science.

OTOH, no-one has even the faintest idea how to make a time machine.

All you have to do is travel faster than light. (To go backwards in time.)

We are all time travelers in the forward direction.