Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Chernobyl new containment (a bit OT but superb engineering)

In article ,
newshound scribeth thus
On 12/25/2016 10:12 PM, tony sayer wrote:

The "parked" position is at the outer end of the structure away from the
direct shine. It will need to be accessible for maintenance
(lubrication, rope inspection, etc) so the electronics could be
replaced. As others have said, they will also be shielded. Cameras are
probably the things with the shortest life.

Well spotted about the "snow". This was mostly much earlier footage when
dose rates would have been higher. Probably traditional "tube" type
cameras which are, I believe, still far better in high radiation than
solid state stuff.

I used to make and test cameras back in 1970 at Pye TVT Cambridge that
were used for inspection in nuclear reactors, as best I remember they
lasted quite a long time in situ!.

Basically Vidicon tubes and ordinary transistors.

Browning of the lenses is another problem.

Modern tubes seem pretty impressive, and this one has LED lighting too

https://www.visatec.net/en/cameras/v...pection-camera

Monochrome and still using a Vidicon tube;!..
--
Tony Sayer