Phisherman

Default Why cant I grow grass?

Just about all grass needs *some* sun to grow well. Be extra careful
with the fertilizer--it can burn especially if the ground is dry
during the summer months. One way to give your grass more light is to
remove trees or branches. If your grass dies anyway, you may want to
consider another more shade-tolerant ground cover that grows well in
your climate.

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:25:35 GMT, "Frankenberry"
wrote:

I have a small lawn that is shaded on one end. Since I have owned the house
the shaded part was mostly dirt.

I dug up and turned the soil over and layed sod in this area. I also turned
over the soil and planted shady grass seed in the area between the existing
grass and the new sod. I also patched up areas one the grassy side to fill
it in. Within a week or so the grass and sod looked beautiful almost golf
course like.

But now 3 weeks-4 weeks later all the new areas have thinned quite a bit
(sod, patches, seeded areas). The original grassy area looks the same.

I tried fertilizing the lawn 4-5 days ago and so far no difference, everyday
the lawn looks worse. More dirt less grass.

I have watered it quite a bit and it has rained quite a bit too.

Does anyone have any sugestions why this might be happening and how to fix
it?

Also no one has been on the grass as its a fairly unused lawn.