Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Switchable Wall Outlet

On 12/26/2016 08:30 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

Why would you need to run 14/3 to every switch, when 14/2 already provides
both a hot and neutral to switches that are connected in the most common
way, ie from the source to the switch, then to the receptacle from there?
Every single pole switch in every house I've lived in has been wired that
way. The problems start where you don't have a neutral at the switch when
it's done backwards, ie source to receptacle, then to switch or a 3-way
switch that isn't connected to the source.

I added a receptacle in my bathroom, with the wires added to the light
switch box (which did have hot in it). However, now there were so many
wires there was no room for the switch. I but a blank cover over that
and added a new box below it for the switch (note that this was a narrow
section of wall, with no room for a 2-gang box). These boxes are
connected by a short piece of 14/3 (hot / neutral / switched hot).
Neutral was needed because I had a timer switch.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Nothing could be more anti-Biblical than letting women vote."
[Editorial, Harper's Magazine, November 1853]