Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Just wondering - Heat Transfer

On Mon, 26 Dec 2016 19:47:53 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , T i m
writes
Skimming through Guns, Germs and Steel recently,

Is that like Elephants and Trains magazine Tim?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klS92A8YzfY

I came across some
examples where a new invention was not adopted immediately by the home
country. One was why did Japan benefit from the American invention of
the transistor with the finger pointed at US vested interests from
vacuum valve manufacturers. Our railways and the reluctance to change
from steam might be another vested interest example.

No. I had forgotten the name of the author (Jared Diamond according to
Wiki) basically about the fate of human societies but some interesting
stuff.

Ah, 'Location, location location'. ;-)

Funny, I was talking to the Mrs recently about how 'lucky' one might
consider oneself being born in a country that is generally able to
support a reasonable amount of like and nearly all year round. This is
specifically in comparison with those who live near the poles (N/S,
not Poland g) or in what is mostly desert.

No trees, no easy way for yer average roaming inhabitant to cook food
for example.

Cheers, T i m