Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is there a better Beef Steak deal at Costco than this?

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 20:15:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/24/2016 11:27 AM, Hazuki Nakamura wrote:
Ed Pawlowski said:

It has to reach
160+ for that to happen

Pork tenderloin 130 to 135. Pork loin 140 t0 150. Pork butt or
shoulder, 185 to break down the collagen.

Chicken 160

This Science American says less but I don't know the details further.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-safety-rules/

The Complex Origins of Food Safety Rules--Yes, You Are Overcooking Your
Food: U.S. agencies recommend temperatures and times far beyond those
supported by science

They can be safe at less, but that is not my concern. The temperatures I
use are from years of cooking and getting the best taste and texture.
When I smoke brisket, I cook it at a smoker temperature of 250 to 275
and take the meat to about 195. That would make a steak into a hockey
puck but a brisket will be fork tender.

I do the long and slow with pork shoulder.
You can do a decent job in the oven if you don't have a smoker.
I will put on a rub and pretty much burn it for an hour or so
(425-450). That gets a good bark on it.
Then reduce the heat to 250-275, pour in about 3-4 ounces of bourbon
and seal the pan up good with broiler foil. Cook it another 4 hours or
more. It will be moist and flake apart with a fork. I think the
alcohol helps break down the collagen and adds some flavor.
Your rub is your own secret but it is usually salt, pepper and an
assortment of herbs and spices. Montreal Steak will work if you are
lazy.