Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Just wondering - Heat Transfer

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Dec 2016 08:39:14 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

snip

Like, many of our electric kettles have had just the element coil in
the bottom but at least one other had the element fused to a plate
covering the entire bottom of the kettle. Why would anyone bother to
do that if there was only one good design?

Because you needed to justify what they were paying you to design stuff.

Quite ... so I guess someone must have done that for us to get a
kettle designed like that?

I think that one is more likely to have been a sensible
design improvement. Basically it allows you to heat
exactly the amount of water you plan to use, say by
filling the mug with water, then tipping that into the
just to heat it. No wasted water at all.

I do that the other way, heat the water in the microwave
in the mug I plan to drink the tea or coffee from.