Posted to alt.home.repair
RonNNN RonNNN is offline

Default Is there a better Beef Steak deal at Costco than this?

In article ,
says...

RonNNN said:

You can render that fat down to tallow and use it for making great
tasting French fries (and other deep fried stuff).

I like that idea of "rendering" the fat to "tallow" (whatever that process
is) because I do make potato wedges.

After parboiling the potato wedges, I dust them in flour and spices and
then I freeze them for frying in vegetable oil.

What is the process of making that tallow?
Is only 5 pounds of fat enough?

Cut the fat into small pieces, or grind it if you have a meat grinder,
and then cook over a low heat until all of the fat has turned into oil.
Add a small amount of water right at first just to keep the fat from
sticking to the bottom of your pan, it will completely evaporate before
you are done. Just strain the oil to remove what solids are left. You'll
know when all of the water is gone when it no longer makes bubbles. You
can do this in a slow cooker if you wish, but I usually do it on the
stove-top. It does take several hours, but no real work.

--
RonNNN