Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron D. Ron D. is offline

Default How do I decide if these five tires are holed too close to the sidewall?

I hope those tyres were for practice and not used on a car. I don't even think they are fit for a swimming hole swing. Do something useful. Cut the tires artistically and then turn them inside out They make a nice raised bed "flower pot". Have two in the yard.

You know about the "Lincoln's head" test with a penny for those that can't read a ruler?

My father used to do that sort of junk back in the 60's. In fact, he used a bumper jack to break the bead. I doubt I'd even try with an alloy rim.

I patched a few tires when I was unable to drive even. Dad liked lighting the "glue" in the kit for doing inner tubes or the larger inside patches.

The holes I got were from things like a 1/2" diameter bolt. A broken bottle in a parking lot slashed the sidewall too. An icepick poke in the sidewall. One tire got flat when the road disapeared. The trim rings went flying on 3 wheels and the rim got bent. Then there was the time I took a tire off on two pieces slit down the center. I won;t explain that one.

When I hydroplaned for about 40 feet, I learned the importance of picking the right tire. Those were a Dunlap tire - never again.

So, when it was time to buy tires I did a LOT of research and bought the Pirelli P4000, then P4 and the P400 which are all excellent tires with good value and performance, No one stocks them, but my car dealership can have them within a day.

Gone are the simple nails and don't do stupid things. Keep an eye on the tire wear. On one vehicle I had the original front brake calipers for 17 years, $140K miles.

A co-worker said he was afraid to drive with me and he had the habit of driving in excess of 90 mph on a freeway. He claimed I went around corners too fast. the Pirelli's have tread on that sidewall. At one point in my life I took a corner who's max safe speed was 15 mph at 50 mph. That's a big test for the tires, the vehicle and the driver.

LE pulled me over and said to be careful in the snow. I was. I later found him in a snow bank.

Buy a decent set of tires and monitor the tire wear AND at least check and modify the air pressure 2x/year when the temperatures change.

Never had AAA and personally I was towed really once and that should never have happened. I asked the dealership to check the battery in May and the dealership said it was good and I used a Hygrometer in the previous Jan and said i need to think about replacing the battery. I got to a destination about 40 miles away from home and the car did not start. I did my thing for an hour and it started again. Same thing. About an hour and it would start again. I called the Ins company, They said a belt snapped and the battery was good. In two days, i was replacing the battery,

I do remember doing a fuel pump change in a development miles from home when I was 20 or so. Now that job is like $1000 and it;s in the tank.

One time the ignition module died and I was convenient near a junk yard. A bought a module close enough and drove home 40 miles.