Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Just wondering - Heat Transfer

On Sat, 24 Dec 2016 15:38:59 +0200, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 24/12/16 13:08, DerbyBorn wrote:
dennis@home wrote in news:585e54ca$0$1285$b1db1813
:

On 24/12/2016 10:07, DerbyBorn wrote:
Are immersion heaters as efficient as they could be? Could the tubular
element be improved upon - or doesn't it matter?

They convert 100% of the electricity to heat.
What efficiency would you like to improve?

I sort of knew all that - but could the dissapation be improved - I imagine
there is incredibly hot water next to the element - and the element itself
will be very hot. Spreading the 3kW over a larger area - could this result
in the element running cooler and the heat distributing better.

No.

But you don't explain 'why not' (for some reason), however
insignificant any gains may be seen ITRW.

Only improvement would be to thermally isolate element from incoming
mains wires by eg. using RF or magnetic coupling through some insulation.

We were ignoring any such losses (by 'we' I mean the OP and any other
right brainers). ;-)

Cheers, T i m